I have something new for you today. I whipped up a mini version of my Love Owls design and I fell in love with it. I substituted our Wisconsin Woolen Spun fingering weight yarn for the Home Worsted which was used in the original. It is utterly charming. I made the larger version of the owl in the pattern with the embroidered flowers but you could make the colorwork version or both! You'll have plenty of yarn.
Here is what I did to make the Mini-Love Owl:
I used a US size 3 needle at 7 stitches per inch in stockinette stitch to knit the mini-version. I followed the pattern exactly as is.
For the French knots and the embroidered flowers, I held the fingering weight yarn doubled.
I cut smaller circles for the eyes at 3/8-inch instead of 1/2-inch.
That’s it! The finished Mini-Love Owl is about 6-inches tall. The shorter colorwork version will be about 4-inches tall.
Here is what is included in the Mini-Love Owls Kits:
* Enough Wisconsin Woolen Spun fingering weight yarn to make at least 3 Mini-Love Owls of choice! The colors are Oats (oatmeal), Blushing (light pink), and Lemon (light yellow). My mini-owl used about 11 grams of the Oats and tiny amounts of the Lemon and Blushing colorways.
* A square of white wool felt and black thread for eyes. (Sewing needle and thread not included to stitch felt onto the owl).
* A download code for the pattern at no additional cost (free!) will come on a printed card inside the kit bag.
* A printed card with the modifications will be inside the kit bag.
* The kit will be packed in a printed cotton project bag with an illustrated tag by Susan.
Have fun! I hope you love this elegant little owl as much as I do!