For many years now, maybe even a couple of decades if I’m being honest, I have had a love for designing a knit chicken or two. In fact, I think I snuck some sort of knit chicken in five out of my six books, and I’ve even more individual patterns with chickens. I’m carrying on the chicken-knitting tradition today and I must say this Mother Hen is my absolute favorite to date. My main critic and beloved daughter told me that this may be the cutest toy I’ve ever designed. I’ll take it! The stripey, ear flapped hat and the cardigan with egg and chick-filled pockets make this entire ensemble beyond fun. And, it’s just as cute without the accessories.
Our new Mother Hen Kits include enough of our Home Worsted to make one Mother Hen, the cardigan, the stripey earflap hat, and one chick and egg for the pockets. We have the kits available in two colorways, either Picket Fence or Bear for the hen and light grey or dark grey for the cardigan. Your choice! The kit also includes safety eyes and black thread for the chick’s eye embroidery. The pattern is included with the kit at no additional cost.
We also have our beautiful Wooly Moss Roots custom buttons available to add to your kit. The Heart or the Round Buttons are at the ready to add in to your kit purchase. I’ve said it a million times but these handcrafted buttons are so magical, they really make the toys elevated. If it’s possible I highly recommend giving them a try.
Mother Hen: 11” [20.5 cm] tall when seated, including Crown and Feet
Cardigan: 4" [10 cm] long, 12" [30.5 cm] body circumference
The adorable Mother Hen is worked seamlessly from the bottom up. The crown is knit in continuation of the head. The beak uses an afterthought technique. The wattle, wings, legs, and tail are picked up and knit onto the body and head using purl bump markers and stitch markers left for placement guidance. The hat is worked in the round and the cardigan is worked both back and forth and in the round.
The Kit Includes:
- Enough yarn to make one Mother Hen, Chick, Egg and Cardigan. There is a choice of either Picket Fence (white) or Bear (brown) for the main color.
- A Ravelry download code will be included inside of your kit. A Ravelry account is not necessary to redeem this code for a copy of the pattern.
- An optional card of three Artisan Heart or Round buttons.
- A pair of 6mm black safety eyes.
- A cut length of black embroidery thread for the chick.
- The Bear Mother Hen kit comes with a length of Picket Fence for the Egg.
- Your kit will come packed in a printed project bag.