Quite a few years ago now my daughter brought home an enormous stuffed polar bear and I just loved it. It was huge, maybe several feet long. I always had it in the back of my mind to create a knitted version of this style of toy which lays lazily on its stomach but on a much smaller scale. Although this is still a bigger toy than my usual fare at about 17-inches in length. It’s a really fun size and some super simple knitting.
Well, I’ve finally accomplished my goal with this new adorable and cozy Sleepy Polar Bear. The toy sits on its tummy as if sleeping and wears a cozy sweater to boot. You start the seamless toy at the back end working in the round and leaving markers for the legs, arms, and ears as you go. The legs, arms, and ears are picked up and worked on to the body and head. The tail is worked separately and is tacked on.
Let me tell you about our new Sleepy Polar Bear Kits. The kits include enough of our super soft and squishy Home Worsted Weight yarn to make one bear and enough Home Bulky Twist to make one sweater. We have two color choices for the sweater, Peppermint Stick (red marl) or Bluff Twist (blue marl). Both are equally cute! We are also including a square of black wool felt for the nose and toes, there are templates in the pattern and black Woolens yarn for the face embroidery. The pattern is included at no additional cost in the form of a Ravelry download code. It all comes packed inside a hand-tagged and printed cotton project bag.
You’ll need some stuffing, your knitting needles, and some black thread and sewing needle for the wool felt. You will be good to go!
The Sleepy Polar Bear pattern includes photo tutorials and an exclusive video link made by me to help you along the way. The pattern, as always, has been written with great attention to all of the details.
The Sleepy Polar Bear is an enjoyable knit and I hope you love this new hand-crafted toy, pattern and kit from Barrett Wool Co.!
Shipping Note: The Sleepy Polar Bear Kits are ready to ship out right away!
The Kit Includes:
- Two Skeins of Home Worsted Weight in Picket Fence (white) and one skein of Home Bulky Twist in the color of your choice for the sweater.
- A cut piece of black felt for the nose and paws.
- A cut length of Inkwell Woolens Sport Weight for the face embroidery.
- A Ravelry download code will be included inside of your kit. A Ravelry account is not needed to redeem this code, but if you would prefer a different method of delivery please let us know.
- Your kit will come packed in a tagged and printed cotton project bag.