The Butterfly & Cocoon pattern is one of my all-time favorite designs. It originally appeared in Making Magazine No. 2 / Fauna (which we carry individually in the Mercantile). It is a fun knit but even more importantly, kids absolutely love this handknit toy. I think you will love this adorable kit chock-full of our beautiful Home Fingering Weight yarn in a gorgeous array of colors.
Note: The original samples for the pattern were knit in sport weight yarn. The new kit samples I knit in our Home Fingering Weight and used one needle size smaller for both the cocoon and butterfly. I used a size US 5 for the Cocoon and a US size 2 for the Butterfly and it worked out great!
The butterfly is worked in the round from the bottom up and stuffed as you go. Face detail, wings, and antennae are picked up and added after. The cocoon is worked from the bottom up in the round, then bound off at beginning of hood and continued in garter stitch. The top of the hood is grafted, with stitches kept live at the center of the hood to make I-cord loop.
Warning: Safety eyes are considered a choking hazard for young children and infants. Embroider eyes if this is a concern.
The Kit Includes:
- 25-gram skeins in the following colors of Home Fingering Weight: Ellie Gray, Wood Violet, Grassland, Priscilla, Field, Marmalade, Bluff and Picket Fence. Enough yarn is included to knit at least 3 butterflies and cocoons.
- Three pairs of 6mm black safety eyes with plastic washers.
- Black Pearl cotton for mouth and optional eye embroidery.
- Tin of 20 colorful stitch markers.
- Packaged in a hand-stamped cotton bag.