PLEASE NOTE: The pattern is NOT included in the kit. You'll need to purchase the pattern from Carol on Ravelry! The booklet is in the kit photo but has since sold out and is no longer available.
Carol Anderson, a Wisconsin native, has struck a chord for decades with her completely charming knit dolls, Sven and Solveig. Carol originally designed and published the Sven Scandinavian doll patterns in 1983 and it has been going strong ever since. The top-down seamless dolls have their clothes and faces knit right in as you work. The hat is worked separately. The beard and braids are added later. The booklet includes illustrations by Carol's daughter Kari, written instructions, charts from which to choose, a little Norweigan Folklore, and more. The patterns are only available in digital format on Ravelry. Click here for the pattern on Ravelry.
Note from Susan: I knit the dolls in the photos with our Wisconsin Woolen Spun Fingering Weight on US size 2 needles, at a gauge of 7.5 stitches per inch in stockinette stitch. For reference, my dolls measure 10-inches in height without the stocking caps.
****Please Read: It’s important to note that the A Cardigan for Sven pattern is only made to fit the dolls when using my modifications which makes a smaller doll than in the original pattern.
The Kit Includes:
- Half-skeins of the following colors in our Wisconsin Woolen Spun Fingering Weight: Birch (creamy white), Sherwood (teal), Penny (coppery gold), Hawthorn (deep brown), Quaker Gray (heathered medium gray), Laurel (mossy green), and Jam (red). The kit also includes a mini-skein of Buttercream (light yellow) which is an exclusive colorway for Solveig's braids and a mini-skein of Blushing (light pink) to use for Solveig's colorwork sweater and her smile. The kit contains enough yarn to make both dolls with more than plenty left over.
- A printed sheet that tells what specific colors Susan used for her sample dolls, and a detailed list and instructions on how to modify the dolls using Carol’s original pattern. But feel free to make your own unique Sven & Solveig!
- A cut length of Wishing Well in Home Fingering Weight for the dolls' eyes.
- Gorgeous Mohair locks to use for Sven's beard stored in a cloth bag. These locks are from a farm in Virginia.
- A hand-stamped natural cotton project bag.
- The A Cardigan for Sven pattern is included at no additional cost as a Ravelry download code on a printed card inside the kit bag.
- Optional Add-in: A set of three 1/2-inch handcrafted wooden buttons, Heart or Round, from the incredible Wooly Moss Roots. The set comes on a hand-strung button card.
- IMPORTANT PATTERN NOTE: The pattern for Sven & Solveig is NOT included in the kit. It is ONLY available for digital purchase on Ravelry directly from Carol. Click here to purchase the pattern on Ravelry. The booklets are no longer available.
If you’re interested in only seeing the modifications I made they're always available on the BWC Journal. Click Here for Susan's Modifications